Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Summer Top 10 List


Friday is the first day of summer. I wish there were a way to convey in written text the sense of glee I have as I type this. I have said before that I feel that each season has its own personality; spring is freshness and optimism, autumn is comfort and reflection, winter is swaddling and kin ... but summer, sweet sweet summer...

Summer is lightness and happiness. Summer is being relaxed and laughing loudly. It's not caring if your hair is perfect, your clothes wrinkled... the summer breeze and heat take care of those worries and make them disappear. The biggest care in summer is whether you are stocked up with sunscreen.

So as we teeter on the brink of my favourite season, I've compiled my Top Ten List of things I want to do over the next glorious weeks (in no particular order)

1. See a movie at a drive-in theatre - There aren't many of these gems around any more but happily, there is one in my old home town of Woodstock (that little town does have its charm). Maybe I'll stop for a Bartley's Ice Cream too.

2. Go to a Blue Jays Game - I love baseball. I love the social aspect of the game... there is so much time between pitches and action it gives you a chance to chat up the fans around you and make new friends. What's better than that? Baseball and new friends. And hot dogs. And beer. Perfection.

3. Go to Fergus - This is a town not far away from where I live with a famous farmer's market... It's worth the drive and I haven't been in years. I love getting fresh produce and home-made wares. It's a delight.

4. Arbor Dogs - If you go back to my Friends on Bikes post, you'll read my comments on a little town of Port Dover, on the shore of Lake Erie. The Arbor in Port Dover has, in my opinion, the best foot-long hot dog in the world and I hope to be partaking more than once.

5. Day at the beach - Happily, this one can likely be accomplished with #4 but it's worth its own number for sure. Book... cooler... bikini... sunscreen. Perfection yet again.

6. Zoo or Safari - Toronto Zoo or African Lion Safari, two nearby attractions that, again, not having been in a few years, are calling me back (please refrain from the "animals shouldn't be in cages" speech... My boys gained far more respect and caring for animals from seeing them live than anything they got from reading about them in books and both of these organizations are open and well-run facilities)

7. Read books - Need I say more?

8. Kensington Market - A wonderful neighbourhood in Toronto. I have to admit to cheating just a bit here, because I am going this weekend with my youngest son and his friends. But I do love this treasure trove of vintage and unique clothing and accessories

9. AGO (Art Gallery of Ontario) or ROM (Royal Ontario Museum) - Fantastic museum and gallery that I adore. ADORE.

10. Friend's Cottage - I have precious few friends with cottages (you know who you are) but I have already been working at "invitations" for a visit. Almost secured one for this weekend but see #8... Time at a cottage is as close to heaven as I think you can get. Hello Walden.

That's it for me... Might I be so bold as to suggest you make your own list? It's fun just thinking of things to be doing over these next precious days. I'm not sure I'll be able to check all 10 off the list but I sure will try and that in itself is a great adventure.

2 comments:

Marc said...

Ah Kensington. I lived a few steps from there some years back and miss the eclecticism that hovered over that very special place. I hope it hasn't changed too much...

Anyway, enjoy no. 8 on your list for me!!

Marc

Sally O'Grady said...

I think it has the same charm and eccentricity that has always made it such a wonderful place. I will think of you as I'm strolling from shop to shop...

Hugs,
Sal