Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Ferris Wheels and Memories


The funniest thing happened today (not on the way to the forum but funny none-the-less). I was updating my status on Facebook (a happy little task I can perform from my cell phone which gives me no end of pleasure as I get comments and responses from my assortment of Facebook friends) with what, I thought was a unique comment on what I was doing.

If there is anyone out there... anyone at all, who is not aware of how Facebook works, in addition to accumulating friends, applications, groups, fans, messages, pokes as well as countless other seemingly unrelated pieces of information or detail which, when pieced together, weave an interesting portrait of who you are, you can also update your status. It is a short, one-line sentence which lets your friends and observers know what you're up to.

My update went like this:

Sally is... wondering if she can justify riding the ferris wheel all afternoon.

I thought nothing more about it.

If you are wondering why I was wondering such an odd thing on a Tuesday afternoon, I was delightfully surprised to find, right in the middle of my territory, a mini-carnival set up in a mall parking lot. Complete with, amongst many other enticements, candy floss and the aforementioned ferris wheel.

And as I said, once I posted the status update I gave it no more thought. It wasn't long however, before I got my first response questioning a ferris wheel in the middle of the day in the middle of an urban core. Then another. Mid-way through my afternoon, the best question of all came through my in-box.

What's a ferris wheel?

Before you read any further, I challenge you to, off the top of your head, define a ferris wheel. To someone who lives in Sweden. Without speaking Swedish.

Some of the biggest delights I have with my Facebook profile are the new connections I have been fortunate to make with people all over this earth. I have new friends in the UK, Venezuela, Egypt, Denmark, Poland, Norway, South Africa, Germany as well as dotting the United States and my beloved Canada. What a wonderful thing that is! I am blessed with friendships I can't imagine having forged otherwise. And I am blessed to have someone to talk to at just about any hour of the day or night (no small miracle for someone who spends countless hours awake and alone like I do).

And so my challenge of the day was to define a ferris wheel to my Swedish friend. I could use none of the descriptions that immediately came to mind; the place where Danny S. kissed me and I fell hopelessly for him when I was 15 years old... the best place in the world to see the view of the Woodstock Fair... the place where I had to bury my oldest son's face deep in my coat to stop him from screaming when he was a tiny boy, while we rode for what seemed an eternity. So many memories and none would translate.

I muddled through I think, with a lame attempt at describing it visually and making some reference to the Eye of London (it is called the Eye isn't it... if not that would explain why I haven't heard back from my friend).

But I challenge you to come up with your own best ferris wheel memory. I bet you have some that will bring a smile to your face... as mine did to me.

5 comments:

Marc said...

I went on one last summer in Zürich with two younger cousins and spent the whole time a paranoid mess that they would fall off the side. Of course they didn't, but it kinda spoiled the ride.

Anonymous said...

Dunno about good memories, though... but, funny ones... Heh... that, I have quite a few...

Went on one of those fancy ferris wheel thingamajic once upon a time after a long flight... and I puked whatever I had for dinner a short while later a few minutes later. The funny bit is this: my dinner - liquified as it may be - hit someone in the face on the way down! I was so embarrassed that I had to apologise to the person concerned after we got off and whatnot.

And I never went on one ever again...

Sally O'Grady said...

Wow, guys... I'm really glad I didn't talk about house of horror or rollercoaster stories. We might have had to attend a collective therapy session.

But thanks for your stories. They both brought smiles to my face.

Anonymous said...

Your story just brought a smile to my face! (They seem to always actually!) ...The place where Danny S. kissed you...aww! And the place where you had to bury your oldest son's face...That's awesome! (Ok maybe to say it's awesome is mean, but it made me laugh!)

Sally O'Grady said...

It was a protective 'bury in the coat' rather than a punitive 'bury in the coat'... really!! I thought about that after I posted it. Hiding his poor little freaked-out eyes from the horror of what I thought was going to be a fun trip to the sky... Shows what I know! Ha!

He seems to have forgiven me, though.