Saturday, April 26, 2008

Saturdays and Possibilities


One of the great things I love about the beginning of the weekend (and we can debate when exactly that starts) is that it holds a thousand possibilities.

For me, Friday afternoon and evening is all about celebrating the good things that happened in the work week if, hopefully, that was what the week was like or about shaking off the negative in the hopes of a better day. This week was pretty evenly balanced for good and bad but an unexpected bombshell at work on Friday made me think more of the negative than the positive. So, in an effort to shake it off, I kept myself busy last night and will continue to do so today... maybe not so much tomorrow.

The weekend here in Brantford has a forecast of cool weather, showers today and maybe again tomorrow. This, in my mind, opens two doors of possibility.

If I had someone with me, here to be with me, I would more than likely not be writing this. I would have rolled over in bed and snuggled in for a bit more rest. I would get up and make us coffee, grab the papers return with a little Saturday bed feast. Not the same as the Sunday bed feast of course because Sunday is all about relaxation while Saturday usually has a to-do list. So with coffee, maybe some biscotti or toast and an easy read of the papers we could start our day. I would grab a few things out on errands, and return with movies, snacks and a selection of take-out menus. The rest of the day, as any inclement weather day should be when you can spend it with the one you love, would be speckled with puttering around, falling into relaxed, comforting naps and debating over Thai or Mexican for dinner (my vote is Thai).

But I don't have someone with me, here with me, so I my day will look a little different. I will get my errands done but I'll also get done an assortment of other little tasks that I have been putting off for a rainy day. Sewing buttons on coats and shirts, tidying my second bedroom, cleaning the kitchen cupboards... you know what I mean.

I might still grab a nap in there somewhere but it will be alone and less comforting.

Or I might scrap that whole plan and do something entirely different... I figure I'm due for a mini run-away-from-home adventure. Have you ever done that? Left in the morning with absolutely no plan except that you won't return until night? Or maybe even the next day? I do that once in a while and I'm feeling due. Unfortunately, the weather is a little uncooperative so I think I will hold off for another day on that one.

I will keep myself busy to keep the demons of negative thought at bay.

And I will leave the door open to any other possibilities that come my way.

2 comments:

Marc said...

I know what it's like to have to keep busy so that your mood doesn't drop. Not an easy task when there's nobody around. My tricks: exercise, sunshine and creativity (make something - anything - new recipe - poem - song - letter to somebody, etc.)

Or like you said, just take off for an adventure!

Hug,
Marc

Sally O'Grady said...

Thanks for the hugs, Marc... and a big one back to you!