Friday, April 11, 2008

Friday Night Gone Amok


Honestly.

I have just come home, on a Friday night, after going out for what I had hoped was a relaxing dinner and maybe a couple of drinks. That is my fantasy... here is the reality of what happened...

I went to my favourite local restaurant/bar. It is a great spot for a few reasons; it's fun (the owners are engaging, entertaining and make you feel like you are joining them for a drink in their livingroom), it's small so you don't get overwhelmed with sounds or people and it's hip. Very cool, fantastic music, amazing menu and wonderful clientèle. In the past, I have felt that I could go and just hang alone at the bar, maybe order dinner, maybe just a cocktail and enjoy the atmosphere that surrounded me.

I haven't been going much lately and tonight is the perfect example of why not...

I went in because (as I have discussed already) I didn't feel like cooking for one tonight. And as I have also said, they have an amazing menu; I can honestly say I've never had a meal there that I haven't finished with the phrase "this is my new favourite dish here." It's just that good.

But tonight, I sauntered in looking forward to dinner and a cosmopolitan, grabbed a seat and was immediately made aware that my peaceful plans for my Friday dinner were about to go terribly array. An old acquaintance approached me and started up a conversation.

Now, the city that I call home has a very interesting dynamic that I should share in order for this story to convey the appropriate level of discomfort... I have lived here for over 25 years now and I am regularly reminded that I am not "from here." I love my home... Love It! But it is similar to the maritime provinces of my beloved country in that, if you weren't born here, you're not from here. I have had that conversation with many Brantford imports over the years and have heard the same reaction over and over. Weird.

The natural by-product of that kind of close-knit community is that everyone knows everyone, their history, their family tree, who you went to school with, what you wore at graduation and your pet peeves as quoted in the yearbook. So, here I was, on my hoping-to-be-quiet Friday night facing a conversation with an individual who had immediate connections to:

My ex-husband
Past political campaigns I have worked on
Current friends whom I hold dear...

Add to that, he had just broken up with his fiance. You can imagine my hell. Or can you? Trust me... it was hell.

So, in an attempt to make an already-long story short, I had no dinner. I ordered my drink but not dinner (why prolong the agony?) and then one more and came home.

As I left, the owner came up to me and in the sweetest way possible said "I understand why we don't see you as much." No kidding.

Chips and dip for dinner again. Geez.

Thanks for listening... As I've said before, it's always nice to have someone to talk to.


2 comments:

Marc said...

I don't know you but stumbled upon your blog. Everything happens for a reason: here is a hug.

Forget the horrible night, after the rain the sun always shines.

Marc

Sally O'Grady said...

Marc... Thank you so much for your support! I have to say, it was a dismal experience but you are absolutely right, it was followed by a wonderful day today.

I will be checking in with you as well... Hope to chat again soon.

And a hug is always welcome; I'm sending one back to you for being there to listen.

Sally