Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Tipping the Scale

I have a dilemma. I was told, very recently by a friend, that I am essentially self-sabotaging because I am used to and comfortable with pain and difficulty (I am also taking some liberty here because the discussion was much longer and drawn out than that but you get my point). I am very familiar with the notion that you surround yourself, especially when challenged, with what is comfortable and familiar to you, even if that something is negative. My question, to myself and to anyone listening is... If you believe, truly deep in your soul, with everything you know to be true, that you are seeking out in others and in yourself only good... who are you to believe? The non-partial observer, or yourself... who has the background, and bias of your own experience?

And at what point does the voice that is telling you that you are seeking out only negative, become the focus of energy? Become the negative influence? Make you question what is happening, what you are seeing, what you believe, to the point that it all becomes painted with a negative brush?

Am I the only person who has been in this position? That hardly seems possible.

How do you reinstate your belief in self? When it is brought into question by those closest to you? And how do you determine if they are the ones who are right?



2 comments:

Cate Once a Day said...

Everyone wants to know how they appear to others, but who can give you an unbiased opinion of yourself?
Look around at your friends. They like you, they chose you as a friend because they see parts of themselves reflected in you. Do you like them?
Maybe the person who thinks you are being negative and self-sabotaging is afraid they might be like that? If they're very close to you maybe you've actually been living under their cloud and don't recognize it?
Trust your heart. Don't drink someone else's kool-aid.

Sally O'Grady said...

Trust my heart... that is always good advice. Thank you. And thank you for taking the time to respond.