Thursday, April 24, 2008

Rites of Spring


As I continue on my journey of being renewed and refreshed by the change of season, I am repeatedly surprised by simple little things.

Surprised that, having lived my whole life in this climate where we are fortunate to see the seasons turn and the earth change her coat four times every year, I am still taken aback by little things that happen every single year.

For example, I was recently surprised how cold my knees get when I first venture out with lots of optimism regarding the weather and therefore without any stockings, tights or nylons.

I was surprised by how windy it gets (this year and every other year in memory, now that I think of it) when it seems so sunny and spring-like outside at first glance. The wind is brisk and can still be biting (reference my last point).

I am surprised that my feet still have to get used to the strappy shoes that have been brought happily out of hiding for another year. My feet are as old as I am and you would think they have become accustomed to this annual binding ritual.

Just today alone, I was surprised several times. First, after having put on one of my favourite dresses with a pretty, light-weight wrap skirt that with the smallest gust of wind, I was surprised to be channeling Marilyn Monroe in a desperate attempt to save myself arrest for indecent exposure.

Then, as I was driving along a quiet back road, I was surprised to notice the nasty looking bug that was crawling along my leg. One quick screech (me, not the car), an even faster swipe at my leg and my composure quickly returned.

And finally, after I finished visiting a customer, I was really surprised when I sat myself back down in my car... on my leather seats... that had been sitting with the sun beating down upon them through my open sunroof. Another screech and another adjustment of the previously referenced light-weight skirt and I was able to manage the all-but-forgotten warmth on my butt.

It was not the first time I had experienced any of these simple little harbingers of warmer days, I had experienced each one before, some many many times. But it was the first time this season, this spring in this year. And because of that, because I was able to enjoy the surprise and welcome the newness, that is why I love the adventures that our earth provides us. That is why I could never imagine living in a climate that didn't offer this never-ending gift of change.

We all love a tropical beach (well, at least everyone I know does) but would we love it as much if we never left it? I can't imagine we would.

Today, I love spring. And I will continue loving her exclusively until my friend summer comes along.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

About the shoes... I was just thinking that the other day. I put on a pair of summer heals that I had broken in ever so nicely last summer and by the end of the day, there was a blister!
On the same day, I also found myself experiencing the Marilyn Monroe pose.
But It's so worth it all to finally have spring! :)

Anonymous said...

I guess it helps if I put my name... Oops! :)

Sally O'Grady said...

Spring is worth it all, isn't it? I couldn't agree more!!

My feet might argue with me, though.