Monday, April 21, 2008

Wishes Granted...


Well, I am so very happy to report that sometimes you do actually get what you want. Not everything naturally (because not only would that just be too easy but we'd all be bored out of our minds in no time flat so let's agree to keep things interesting).

No sooner had I penned (although I actually wrote it on the computer, penned sounds so much more romantic than keyed) my 'Random Wishes for a Sunday Morning' blog than my oldest son called me to arrange moving the junk etc. off my balcony. I'm pretty sure I squealed in his ear on the phone.

I have a generously sized balcony (at least I think so) and I can easily fit a lounge chair, an Adirondack chair, a dining table to seat four plus a little round table to seat two. Plus a rustic old ladder that I pile with summer books, flowers and pretty little things I like. It's a great little space if I do say so myself and I can tell you I spend more time out there than in any other room (with the exception of my bedroom) during the fair weather months. So of course I was eager to move off all the boxes of Christmas decorations (you have no right to judge me on this one if you have Christmas lights up anywhere in or outside your own home) and my classic old photograph enlarger that were living in that outdoor space waiting for me to transport them to my storage unit (down two flights of stairs and across town to my storage site).

In order for me to accomplish this seemingly daunting task (it seemed plenty daunting to me) I needed two things... A vehicle that would carry more than the two boxes per load my little Malibu was capable of and (this is more of a wish than a need) extra people to share in the up and down and up and down those danged stairs. And as I said, no sooner had I mentioned it in my blog than, lo and behold, my son called to let me know he had, in fact, sorted out the details with his girlfriend and had, of all things, a truck to do the move!

I was giddy.

A short while later I was joined by my youngest son and my oldest son with his girlfriend to start the procession. Although it took two trips still (even with a truck and my car... clearly I have a lot of Christmas stuff especially when you consider the relative smallness of my apartment) we made fast work of clearing my balcony off and returning it to 'usable space' status. And not a moment too soon.

I happily enjoyed my dinner outside tonight and will likely head back out soon with a book and a blanket to enjoy the remainder of the evening.

So even though I was feeling a bit blue yesterday morning while I gazed out my balcony at all of my neighbours busying themselves with lawn and garden work (I really do miss having a garden), I can tell you that my day ended with a very satisfied feeling of having spruced up my own little back yard.

2 comments:

Marc said...

A book, a blanket and a balcony. What a perfect situation for peace.

Enjoy.

Marc

Sally O'Grady said...

Add a glass of wine, and life is just about perfect.

Wishing you the same goodness, my friend.

Sally