Thursday, April 24, 2008

Ranting about Hockey & Politics


I am feeling like a rant... well, I guess more accurately, I feel like ranting. And this being my first blog-rant, I think it may be short and poorly argued, but I'm going to give it a try anyway.

I went to an event in my city's downtown tonight celebrating the national championship win of our local professional hockey team (no, it's not NHL but it's good hockey and this is Canada). Now, I need to state clearly one point to start off so there are no preconceptions of hockey-fan superiority.

I love live sports but I know very little about the rules of any game in particular. Love watching a live hockey, baseball, football or basketball (used to be a season ticket holder but that's another blog and another rant for another day) game. Love it. Love the atmosphere... appreciate the athleticism... enjoy the sense of camaraderie of supporting the local guys with your community neighbours. Love it. And I don't think that just because I don't know what every call means (ok, I don't know what most calls mean) makes my level of enjoyment diminished in any way.

So tonight I was invited by friends to attend this celebration of our local hockey team. My friends are true fans. They attended home games as well as away games. They know all the players' names, family members, ages, marital statuses and probably a lot more than that... They love our team.

I, on the other hand, went to one game this year. The semi-final game which I enjoyed immensely... even more because I was in the company of my true-fan friends.

At the event tonight were lots of folks... young fans and old, many wearing team jerseys of their favourite players. And as I surveyed the crowd I was proud of my community, that we were hosting this little party and I was happy to be in such a dedicated crowd. Until my gaze settled on the political section of the gathering.

There, in the midst of the admittedly modest throng of fans, were our three governmental representatives. Local, provincial and federal. All smiling. All looking proud of their accomplishments (huh??). And all wearing jerseys with their own names on the backs.

I was incensed. I was standing with true, genuine, proud fans. Fans who volunteered to help at the tournament because they couldn't afford to attend all the games. True fans. True fans who would never see their names on the backs of their favourite team's jersey.

Now, not having attended the season's worth of games my friends did, I can't tell you if our local political representatives were in regular attendance, but my guess is they were there, as I was, for the home stretch. The critical difference being, they were more than happy to accept the designation of team player for this public, well-attended event.

If one or all three of these gentlemen were in regular attendance, my hat is off to you. My hockey stick is raised in solute. If you spent your money (no... not from your governmental office, not from the party coffers, not as a guest of a constituent), your own family money on attending regularly than I declare myself corrected and thank you for reading. Go ahead. Prove me wrong. Nothing would please me more.

I have been a part of the crazy game of politics on many levels over a long time. I've sat on regional party boards, worked on municipal, provincial and federal campaigns. I understand the game of politics pretty well I think. But that certainly doesn't mean I agree with it all the time because more and more lately, I really just don't.

I wish my political representatives, instead of donning the jersey for the photo op tonight, provided it for a draw from season ticket holders to have their name emblazoned on the back.

At least then the jersey might again see the light of day.

No comments: